Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Retro Gaming: Puggsy

Surprise! Another retro gaming post! This time about a Sega gem that for most people went under the radar. I refer to Puggsy. Take a look at this guy.

This is Puggsy.

The story of Puggsy is pretty straightforward. He lands his spaceship on "The Planet" (which looks remarkably like Earth) and as he's out exploring, his ship is stolen by the raccoon natives. Puggsy sets out to follow them and get his ship back so he can return home! The game starts out on a beach, but goes on to explore some pyramids, a town, the forest, the mines, even Aztec ruins. The style of Puggsy is a platformer with puzzle qualities. Puggsy must often carry an item from one area to another to solve a puzzle, be it as simple as a key to a lock, or as strange as throwing rubber ducks in a vaporizer... Lol.

Again, Puggsy sets itself apart from most other games in its age due to a unique physics-based engine. When I say "carry" I mean it! Puggsy picks up the items and they occupy both of his hands. Some levels require delicate stacking of items to climb an otherwise insurmountable cliff, or throwing coins in a slot at just the right angle. There are times where you can easily just mess around and throw items in all different directions, and it's a lot of fun~

Again, a good game wouldn't be complete without good music. Maybe I'm just nostalgia-ing here, but I think this is really well composed music. Have a listen~



Another cool thing about Puggsy is the boss fights. Yes, they can be horribly easy, but they still are a lot of fun. One of them has you headbutt a dragon in the chin. Scary stuff. Lol. And the final fight is definitely a challenge!

But the most challenge comes from the puzzles. Check out the physics engine in action along with one of the harder puzzles in the game. This guy makes it look easy, but believe me, this can be the most frustrating stage ever. Plus, listen to more of that sweet music~


Fun, no?

Ah Puggsy. In the credits a Puggsy II is promised, but it never comes to fruition. Maybe someday Psygnosis, eh?

Thanks for reading! Have any of you guys heard of Puggsy, even?
~Zeph

11 comments:

  1. Never played it, seems good though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember a friend having this, but I don't think I ever played it myself. Looks like a good game, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this game, it was pretty dope

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never played this. Seems interesting though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can honestly say that I've never played or heard about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. never played it, never even knew it existed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post! Looking forward to reading you next one

    ReplyDelete
  8. never heard / played that game and also those puzzle games aren't the games I like :( prefer oldschool jump'n'runs :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks very awesome! A shame I haven't played this before! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha never heard of it, but after reading your post i feel like ive played it! nice work, keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Missed this one back in the day.

    ReplyDelete